We welcome gifts of books, journals, and audiovisual materials which support the University's teaching and research needs and fall within our collection development guidelines.
If you wish to donate materials to MSU Libraries, please contact Acquisitions and Collection Development. Please notify the office of the types, approximate quantity, and delivery of items included in the gift. We are usually unable to provide an itemized inventory, but if one is included in your gift, we will acknowledge it.
We do not generally accept:
- Outdated or superseded materials
- Scattered volumes of multi-volume sets, unless needed to complete sets
- Scattered or single issues of periodicals, unless needed to complete holdings
- Materials in poor condition or those that are written in or heavily highlighted
- Duplicates of material held by the Libraries unless additional copies are needed
Special Collections and Congressional and Political Research Center
Special Collections welcomes gifts of books, maps, photographs, manuscripts, archival records and other materials, published and unpublished, that document Mississippi history and culture and the history of Mississippi State University.
For more information about donating individual, family, or organizational materials to archival repositories, consult the Society of American Archivists:
- Donating Your Personal or Family Records to a Repository
- Donating Your Organization's Records to a Repository
- A Guide to Deeds of Gift
To donate to Special Collections, please contact Special Collections at email@example.com.
Ownership and Use
- Once accepted by MSU Libraries, materials become the property of Mississippi State University and are generally not returned to their original owners.
- We add suitable materials to our collection. We may donate unsuitable materials to another library or charitable organization.
Appraisal and Valuation
- We are prohibited by law from giving appraisals or estimates of value for donated materials. Donors are responsible for placing a value on their donations.
Donor Recognition and Identification
- Donors can request that we add bookplates recognizing them or honoring another person to donated materials.
- The Online Catalog record of a donated item will identify its donor, unless otherwise requested.
- Donors receive a receipt indicating the types and numbers of materials they have donated and a letter of acknowledgment for tax purposes.