We accept gifts of books, journals, and audiovisual materials which support the University's teaching and research needs and fall within the guidelines of our Collection Development Policy. If appropriate, the gift will be added to the collection. Otherwise, the Library may donate unsuitable materials to another library or charitable organization. Materials will not be returned if they are not added to the Library’s collection. Faculty who would like to donate materials may contact their department’s Subject Specialist to determine if their materials are suitable to add to the collection.
If you wish to donate materials to MSU Libraries, please contact Acquisitions and Collection Development. Please notify the office of the types, approximate quantity, and delivery of items included in the gift. We are unable to provide an itemized inventory, but if one is included in your gift, we will acknowledge it.
We do not accept:
- Outdated or superseded materials
- Scattered volumes of multi-volume sets, unless needed to complete sets
- Scattered or single issues of periodicals, unless needed to complete holdings
- Materials in poor condition or those that are written in or heavily highlighted
- Duplicates of material held by the Libraries unless additional copies are needed
Ownership and Use
- Once accepted by MSU Libraries, materials become the property of Mississippi State University and are generally not returned to their original owners.
- We add suitable materials to our collection. We may donate unsuitable materials to another library or charitable organization.
Appraisal and Valuation
- We are prohibited by law from giving appraisals or estimates of value for donated materials. Donors are responsible for placing a value on their donations.
Donor Recognition and Identification
- Donors can request that we add bookplates recognizing them or honoring another person to donated materials.
- The Online Catalog record of a donated item will identify its donor, unless otherwise requested.
- Donors receive a receipt indicating the types and numbers of materials they have donated and a letter of acknowledgment for tax purposes.
Archives and Special Collections
Archives and Special Collections welcomes gifts of books, maps, photographs, manuscripts, archival records and other materials, published and unpublished, that document Mississippi history and culture and the history of Mississippi State University.
For more information about the types of materials we collect and our current collecting priorities, please see “Document 4: Special Collections Collection Development Policy” contained in the MSU Libraries Collection Development Policy.
To donate to Archives and Special Collections, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.